Well the charity shop saw me coming with this cabinet! Never one to resist a challenge I snapped it up, rushed home and used it as a bedside table (on big hubby’s side of course) for about three months – he’s not aesthetically sensitive like me. Then I got to work upcycling with decoupage and chalk paint.
I did thorough research which mostly involved browsing Pinterest and starting a bedside table board. I decided I wasn’t quite confident enough to go for freehand painting so would have a go at decoupage – sticking paper to wood, how hard could it be?
First to prep and paint!
I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey as I knew it would cover the veneer, it would compliment the light grey bedroom walls but most importantly I had some left over in the shed from my shelving project. (I have since used the rest of it on my vintage dressing table)
Big Hubby did get a call from Hobby Craft when I was trying to choose from their large selection of decoupage paper, I gave him the options of maps, ducks or trees. He laughed and chose ducks. (I did visit The Range where the paper is cheaper but the selection was very small and the craft section is full of screens blaring out ads on a loop – I’d rather pay an extra £1.81 and not get agitated)
I then spent a very satisfying evening watching Monty Don on TV with a glass of red wine while sticking bits of paper to the top of the cabinet because, well, I don’t get out much.
I finished the top and draw but despite trying to smooth out the paper it was full of bubbles and the thing is, there’s a fine line between rustic and s**t. This was not looking rustic. Maybe upclycling with decoupage and chalk paint was not as easy as I thought it was going to be.
So to bed, after all, I was going to have to scrape it all off in the morning and think of something else grrrr.
At some point in the night the decoupage fairy must have come and blown the bubbles away! When I woke up it looked lovely. I finished the door and gave it four coats of glue making sure it was dry between each layer. Just for luck (and because Big H has been known to be a bit clumsy) I finished it with a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax.
I would not advise anyone who’s a bit OCD to do this kind of decoupage as the random patterns you get with the rip and stick method would drive them crazy but I’m really quite pleased with it.
PS: I’ve started a little blog of whimsy and panic about the places my mind wanders to when I’m painting, digging and hammering. You can read my thoughts here…